There’s a small percentage of the population who can make drastic changes to their lifestyle and stick to those changes long term. That “ from Monday I’m giving up alcohol, I’m quitting sugar, I’m going to run every day…” approach only works for some people, and even then it doesn’t always last long term.
Starting a weight loss journey can be quite daunting. Especially if it’s not the first time you’ve started one. There are so many different approaches, so many different food plans and exercise regimes, and hundreds of different products promising all sorts of miracles. It can all be a bit over whelming.
Sometimes a simple, less drastic approach is better. You wont lose 10kgs in 2 weeks but it will get the wheels in motion and it could the key to you losing weight and keeping it off.
Start with one small change. Try to think of one small change you could make. Just one. If you can’t think of one don’t worry, we’ve made a big list below!
Once you’ve settled on your small change start to build it into your daily/weekly routine. Do this for as long as it takes to just become part of your lifestyle, as long as it takes to become second nature to you.
Once you get to that point you might like to add in another change. And then another. Just make sure you don’t make compensations for the change you make. For example, if you decide you are going to ride to work twice a week, that doesn’t mean you start skipping the gym.
Small lifestyle changes can make a huge difference for people looking to lose weight, especially those with a lot of weight to lose. What’s your small change going to be?
Examples of small changes:
- Ride to work (even if it’s only twice a week)
- Walk to work (even if it’s only twice a week)
- Drink more water (2-3L per day)
- Get more sleep (7-9hrs)
- Forego the second coffee of the day
- Reduce how many times a week you have take away food or eat out
- Go for a 20-30min walk every day (or even every second day)
- Replace sugar on your cereal with honey
- Get off the bus or train a stop early and walk
- Take at least 15mins to eat each meal
- Do 30mins of stretching/yoga once a week
- Add a few extra greens to every meal
- Start meditating or doing breathing exercises a couple of times per week
- Get 10mins of sunshine very morning
- Substitute white grains and rices with wholemeal versions.
- Substitute juices for whole foods
- Cut down on soft drink